Why do students not engage with mathematics in the U.S.? Many explanations exist:
- Students just don't care and/or aren't motivated
- Parents don't care
- Students lack ability
- Poor teaching methods in schools/universities
- Foundational knowledge is lacking
I provide an alternative to the common themes above: Stereotype Threat and explore the following:
- What is Stereotype Threat Theory?
- Fascinating research
- Who is affected?
- What are the effects of Stereotype Threat?
- What can we do about it?
Here is the link to my presentation for Michigan Council of Teachers of Mathematics 2014: